With the help of Bidhan Chandra Roy (chief minister of West Bengal), Indian educationalists Humayun Kabir and Jogendra Singh formed a committee in 1946 to consider the creation of higher technical institutions "for post-war industrial development of India." This was followed by the creation of a 22-member committee headed by Nalini Ranjan Sarkar. In its interim report, the Sarkar Committee recommended the establishment of higher technical institutions in India, along the lines of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and consulting from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign along with affiliated secondary institutions. The report urged that work should start with the speedy establishment of major institutions in the four-quarters of the country with the ones in the east and the west to be set up immediately.
On the grounds that West Bengal had the highest concentration of industries at the time, Roy persuaded Jawaharlal Nehru (India's first prime minister) to establish the first institute in West Bengal. The first Indian Institute of Technology was thus established in May 1950 as the Eastern Higher Technical Institute.It was located in Esplanade East, Calcutta, and in September 1950 shifted to its permanent campus at Hijli, Kharagpur 120 kilometres south-west of Calcutta. Hijli had been used as a detention camp during the British colonial rule in India, to keep Indian freedom fighters captive.
IIT Kharagpur is the 3rd oldest technical institute in the state after IIEST Shibpur (1856) and Jadavpur University (established as Bengal technical institute in 1906) When the first session started in August 1951, there were 224 students and 42 teachers in the ten departments of the institute. The classrooms, laboratories and the administrative office were housed in the historic building of the Hijli Detention Camp (now known as Shaheed Bhawan), where political revolutionaries were imprisoned during the British rule. The office building had served as the headquarters of the Bomber Command of the U.S. 20th Air Force during World War II. To honour Bidhan Chandra Roy, the area in front of the main building is named Bidhan Chowk.
The name "Indian Institute of Technology" was adopted before the formal inauguration of the institute on 18 August 1951 by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. On 15 September 1956, the Parliament of India passed the Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur) Act declaring it an Institute of National Importance. Prime Minister Nehru, in the first convocation address of IIT Kharagpur in 1956, said: “ Here in the place of that Hijli Detention Camp stands the fine monument of India, representing India's urges, India's future in the making. This picture seems to me symbolical of the changes that are coming to India. ” The Shaheed Bhawan was converted to a museum in 1990. The Srinivasa Ramanujan Complex was incorporated as another academic complex of the institute with Takshashila starting operation in 2002, Vikramshila in 2003 and Nalanda in 2012.
The motto of IIT Kharagpur is "Yoga Karmashu Kaushalam" (योगः कर्मसु कौशलम् in Sanskrit). The motto literally translates to "Excellence in action is Yoga" essentially implying that doing your work well is (true) yoga. It is sourced to Sri Krishna's discourse to Arjuna in Bhagavad Gita, chapter 2 verse 50. This quote in its larger context of Gita urges man to acquire equanimity because such a soul endowed with the mind of equanimity allows him to shed the effects of his good and evil deeds in this world itself. Equanimity is the source of perfection in Karmic endeavours while leading to Salvation.
Technology Students' Gymkhana is the hub of the numerous extra-curricular and co-curricular activities in IIT Kharagpur ranging from sports to socio-cultural. From its inception in 1952, the Gymkhana has played a key role in the everyday lives of Kgpians cultivating and nurturing their extra-curricular talents. The moto of Technology Students' Gymkhana is "Yogah Karmasu Kausalam" which in English means "Perfection in action is Yoga". The Technology Students' Gymkhana, IIT Kharagpur is managed by the students, for the students, under the guidance and active participation of the faculty and staff members.
The Gymkhana shall make the following Individual awards annually and present it to the deserving students at the Annual Gymkhana Farewell Function.
The Central Library of IIT Kharagpur started in a small room of the Institute old Building (Shahid Bhavan) in the year 1951, and moved to its present premises in 1956. Since then, it has grown in size and content to take the present shape. With the developments in computers, microelectronics and communication technologies, the behavioral characteristics of the information seekers have been changing rapidly and the library is trying its best to adapt with the technological advancement. For the last six decades, the library has been the lifeline of the academic activities of the Institute. It is no exaggeration to state that the Central Library of IIT Kharagpur is one of the largest and finest technical libraries in Asia. It has been catering to the needs of the ten thousand students of undergraduates, postgraduates, research scholar, seven hundred faculty members and more than thousand staff members of the 19 departments, 9 centres, 12 schools and 15 research facilities of the Institute.
The Library is well equipped with modem facilities and resources (print and electronic) in the forms of CDROMs, DVD-ROM, online databases, micro-documents, video cassettes, books, journals, patents, standards, theses, reports, etc. It has also developed a full-fledged Digital Library equipped with necessary modem equipment in order to provide various digital mode Library services. Digital Library section of the Central Library has developed an institutional digital repository using open source software DSpace, which preserve the institute's intellectual output for campus wide access and digital preservation for the posterity.
The Library routine services have been fully automated using the library database management software 'LibSys' version 7. It is an integrated Library management software package, with all the required modules for automated library management systems. The Central Library being a core member of INDEST-AICTE Consortium under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resource and Development provides online access to many important full-text databases in Science and Engineering subjects as well as abstracting database services. The Central Library website, which is developed by open source software namely “Drupal”, provides online access to all these e-resources. In addition to INDEST-AICTE Consortium e-resources, Central Library, IIT Kharagpur also currently subscribed a good length of e-resources (e-Journals, e-books and e-database). At present, Central Library provides IP based access to 20,664 full-text e-Journals, and 1,22,744 full-text e-books to the users.
Library Timing: The Central Library of IIT Kharagpur is kept open from 8 am to 12 midnight on all the week days and week-end days, except Institute holidays.
SENATE Library Advisory Commitee [ View ]
Dr. B. Sutradhar
Ph: 91-03222 - 282432 (O)
Dr. K. Majumdar
Dr. Samir Kumar Jalal
Ph: 91 - 032222 - 82440 (O)
Mr. Uma Shankar
Section In-charge : Circulation Section
Phone:03222-282444, Email: email@example.com
Mr. Atin Nandi
Section Incharge : Acquisition Section
Phone: 03222-282442 (O), Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. A.K. Goswami
Section In-charge : Current Periodical Section
Phone: 03222 - 282461 (O)
Mr. Samrat Guha Roy
Section In-charge : Console Room
Phone: 03222 - 282446 (O)
Mr. Hemanta Kr. Biswal
Section In-charge : Technical Processing Section
Phone: 03222 - 282466 (O)
Mr. M. Manivannan
Section In-charge : Digital Library
Phone: 03222 - 282468 (O)
The international placements began in 2006. Two foreign companies, oil giants Schlumberger and Royal Dutch Shell, visited IIT Kharagpur that year and offered annual salaries to the tune of $80,000. The reason for late international placements was that earlier the IIT Kharagpur was fully dedicated to the service of the nation, as its motto says, but after the fee hike, it had to abandon its policy. According to IT magazine Dataquest's annual survey, IIT Kharagpur is the second best technology college in terms of placement in India.
The top domestic compensation in 2008 came in at Rs 1.8 million per annum. In 2011 batch, Goldman Sachs recruited 10 students on a package of ₹2.6 million (US$40,000) per annum.
Barclays Capital recruited 11 students with a package of ₹2 million (US$31,000) per annum in December 2009. The highest salary offered till now is ₹17 million (US$260,000) per annum by social networking site Facebook in an off-shore recruitment (of which Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) were offered valued at Rs 10 million) in December 2010. The 2010 batch of BTech students saw 94% placements while the remaining preferred IIMs or entrepreneurship.Deutsche Bank recruited 9 students on a package of ₹1.5 million (US$23,000) per annum.For 2012 batch, Facebook has made the highest offer US$150,000 to four students. For 2013 batch, Three students have bagged salaries of ₹8 million (US$120,000) a year while eight others have got offers of ₹7.5 million (US$110,000) from Google, Facebook and Microsoft. For 2014 batch, the highest package, offered to a student stands at around ₹9 million (US$140,000) from Google.
IIT Kharagpur is located 120 kilometres (75 mi) west of Kolkata. The campus is located five kilometres away from Kharagpur's railway station. The layout of the present campus and the design of the buildings were carried out by a group of engineers and architects under the guidance of Werner M. Moser, a Swiss architect. The 8.5 square kilometres (2,100 acres) campus is residence to about 20,000 inhabitants. In 2006, IIT Kharagpur had about 470 faculty members, 1,933 employees and approximately 5,500 students living on the campus. The campus has a total of 55 kilometres (34 miles) of roadways. The Institute plans to go Green by 2020.
The 21 student hostels are located on either side of Scholars Avenue, which extends from the institute gate to the B. C. Roy Technology Hospital. The three earliest halls—Patel, Azad, and Nehru—together constitute the PAN loop or Old Campus, which is located just next to Scholar's Avenue. There are ten hostels for undergraduate male students (MMM, LBS, RP, RK, MS, LLR, HJB, Patel, Azad and Nehru) and two for undergraduate female students (SN/IG and MT). There are a few post-graduate students' hostels including three for women(RLB, Gokhale and SAM) and hostels for research scholars (BCR, VS and JCB) and a separate hostel for scholars from the armed forces.The Jnan Ghosh stadium and Tata Sports Complex host large-scale sports competitions. The Tagore Open Air Theatre has a capacity of 3,000 people, and is used to host cultural programs. The Science and Technology Entrepreneurs' Park (STEP) provides infrastructure facilities to alumni who want to become entrepreneurs but lack infrastructure to start their own corporation.
In addition to the main campus at Kharagpur, the institute has an extension centre at Kolkata to provide venues for continuing education programmes, distance learning courses, and guesthouse accommodation. The institute plans to expand the Kolkata extension centre at Rajarhat, and use it to offer full-time undergraduate and postgraduate courses from the 2008 session onwards. The 10-acre (40,000 m2) Rajarhat campus will house 2,500 students, and will eventually expand to 250 acres (1.0 km2). The institute's plan for a similar branch campus of 200 acres (0.81 km2) in Bhubaneswar was scrapped following rejection by the Union Human Resource and Development ministry.
IIT Kharagpur has 19 academic departments, eight multi-disciplinary centres/schools, and 13 schools of excellence in addition to laboratories and central research facilities. Apart from the main building in the central academic complex, the Srinivasa Ramanujan Complex also has common academic facilities. In the S. R. Complex, the Takshashila building houses the G. S. Sanyal School of Telecommunication, the School of Information Technology and the Computer and Informatics Centre; and has facilities for conducting lecture classes as well. Vikramshila is another academic building in the S. R. Complex, having four lecture halls, several seminar rooms, and Kalidas Auditorium, which has a seating capacity of 850. The School of Medical Science and Technology is housed in the basement of the Vikramshila building.
The institute main building houses most of the administrative offices, the lecture halls, and two auditoriums on either side. The signage at the front displays the message," Dedicated to the service of the nation." The tower of the main building has a steel tank with 10,000 imperial gallons of water capacity for emergency supply needs. The Netaji Auditorium in the main building is used for official functions and events, and doubles as a cinema theatre on weekend nights, showing films to the IIT community at subsidised rates.
IIT Kharagpur's first library was located in a small room of the institute's Old Building (Shaheed Bhawan). At the time of its opening in 1951, the library had a collection of 2,500 books. Now located in the main building of the institute, the Central Library is one of the largest of its type. Its collection includes over 350,000 books and documents, and it subscribes to more than 1,600 printed and online journals and conference proceedings.
The library has six halls and a section exclusively for SC and ST students. The library's collection consists of books, reports, conference proceedings, back volumes of periodicals, standards, theses, micro-forms, CD-ROMs, floppies, and audio-visual material. The library's transaction service is automated and online searches are possible through an Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC). The Electronic Library section has a collection of databases, video lectures and miscellaneous other resources.
The Nehru Museum of Science and Technology has over a hundred indoor exhibits that include technical models collected from institutions across India. The park outside the museum contains 14 open-air demonstrations and outdoor exhibits, including a hunter plane and a steam engine. The museum has an archive room, showing documents relating to the history of the institute and West Midnapore district. The Rural Museum, located in the Rural Development Centre of the institute, has a collection of exhibits in local culture.
The institute campus has six guest houses, a civic hospital, four nationalised banks, four schools, a railway reservation counter and a police station. The campus has a water pumping station, electrical sub-station, telephone exchange, a market, six restaurants, and a garbage disposal section for the daily needs of the residents. Construction is going on for another guest house and a convention centre having a capacity of 2,000. The institute draws its supply of water from wells near the Kosai river (located 112 kilometres away from institute) by harnessing sub-surface water. Three deep wells near the institute supplement the supply from the river. The water is supplied by a 16-inch (410 mm) pipeline to 12 tanks in the campus with a total capacity of 2,800,000 litres (615,000 imperial gallons). However students have recently shown dissatisfaction with the current level of amenities, especially the civic hospital, forcing the director to resign.
IIT Kharagpur is located just outside the town of Kharagpur, in the Hijli village. The civic amenities provided to the campus of IIT Kharagpur make it nearly self-sufficient with regards to the basic needs of the residents. As Kharagpur is a small town, there is limited direct interaction between the campus community and the town. There is also little opportunity for the employment of family members of the faculty. Unlike some other IITs (such as IIT Bombay), IIT Kharagpur does not restrict outsiders' entry into the campus. IIT Kharagpur provides much of its benefits to the local community through the Rural Development Centre (RDC) located in the campus. Established in 1975, the RDC helps the local community by developing customised technologies. The RDC also co-ordinates the National Service Scheme (NSS) programs in IIT Kharagpur, with the members of NSS taking part in weekly community service activities such as sanitation, road construction, teaching and building educational models.
In 2005, IIT Kharagpur started construction of a boundary wall for the security of the campus, which is now complete. Mild restrictions apply to entry of outside vehicles. The boundary wall was opposed by the local community as it would hinder their access to amenities provided by the institute. Campus residents have also been denied direct access to the adjoining Hijli railway station as a result of this wall. The local community opposed the construction of a flyover from the railway station to the campus formerly, under the pretext that it would lead to substantial losses of opportunity for the shops along the roads. After the flyover construction had been completed and became operational, things ensued in a manner as the local community had anticipated, but the flyover has resulted in more convenience for transport. The construction of the 1052.69 m long flyover was approved by the Indian Railways and West Bengal state government. It's called Hijli Road overbridge, and was constructed for estimated cost of Rs. 237 million ($5.3 million).